Usually this old terracotta vinyl tile floor in my foyer is covered with lots of scatter rugs because I don't like the floor anymore. One year ago in August, while my husband was away for four days for a fly in fishing trip, I decided to paint it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White. While white may not be the best color for an entry, I will have a mat and a couple of scatter rugs to keep it as clean as possible.
I thought the creamy white would lighten up the whole area.
So I started painting, and ran out of paint about 2/3's of the way through the project. I called several friends that use chalk paint to rehab furniture and nobody had any to spare. There are no stockists for 100 miles.
So I covered my half painted floor with some area rugs, and quickly ordered more paint and floor laquer online to finish the job.
And then LIFE happened, you know, unforeseen events, problems, time constraints, etc. and soon we had snow and I thought it would be difficult to use our other door regularly in the winter time, while a floor painting project was happening.
I ended up finishing the job this month. I applied two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.
I decided early on in the project to lightly distress the edges of some of the vinyl brick tile so if I eventually get some scratches they would not be as noticeable. I used a white terry cloth rag and a green scrubby pad for the distressing. I cut the scrubby pad into smaller pieces, and took a new piece, every time my pad got too clogged with chalk paint.
My technique was to lightly (using very little pressure) rub the green scrubby pad along the edge of a brick and then wipe with the rag. This worked pretty well. I did it very randomly, some tile edges are more distressed than others. The older vinyl tile in my foyer had very little shine, if any, and the paint seemed to adhere well. In fact some of the floor that had been painted last year was much harder to distress and I had to rub more firmly to remove paint in spots down to the tile. Next, I had to seal and protect my painted floor.
I had purchased the ASCP lacquer for painted floors last fall. It was pretty hard to stir at first. It may be easier to pour the lacquer into a larger container to get it well mixed. We used a combination foam roller and brush technique. First we cut in along the wall with a brush, then rolled it on with a foam roller (per the instructions) and then brushed out some of the roller marks. I used two coats.
So far I am very happy with the way my floor turned out. Now to see how it holds up!
I have a black mat for in front of the door as well but it's very utilitarian and not fancy.
My pew is painted with ASCP in French Linen.
I did some rearranging on the wall above the pew. My repurposed dresser mirror shelf is still there.
I placed my banana stand plant holder on top of a stack of books.
I'm so glad my floor is done, and I'm happy so far with the results.
Thanks for checking it out.