These rusty, white metal-looking ornaments actually started out as felt ornaments. Click on the link or photo above to see Becky's felt ornament transformation. The papier mache deer also got her rust treatment.
My sign project begins with these wooden letters purchased at the thrift shop for $1 each.
Following Becky's rust technique, I started with black, orange and dark gray acrylic paint.
First I stippled on the black,
And even before the black dried, I stippled on gray.
I stippled on the orange last.
Then I sprinkled the letters with cinnamon, and worked it in just a bit.
White paint was stippled on last after the dark paint and cinnamon dried. (I see I didn't take a photo of the white paint step, but this is personal preference how much of the dark rusty undercoat shows through.) Lastly, I sprayed a matte sealer on the letters to protect the paint finish.
These are some old boards I was saving for a project.
The boards were about 4 feet tall and irregular on one end, so they were not sawed off, but attached together with two small wood braces.
A rustic metal snowflake was nailed in the center of the "O". The letters were attached with screws.
This sign will be part of my outdoor covered patio Christmas decor that I will be revealing sometime next week!